Michael Douglas says his cancerous tumor gone following treatments
UPI News Service, 01/10/2011
Michael Douglas says the cancerous tumor in his throat is gone after he had radiation and chemotherapy treatments.
The star of "Wall Street" and "Basic Instinct" discussed his cancer treatment with NBC in his first television interview since his health crisis last year. Part of his interview will air Tuesday on the "Today" show, while the entire conversation is to be broadcast Jan. 23 on "Dateline NBC." NBC released excerpts from the chat Monday.
Asked how he feels, Douglas answered he feels "good, relieved."
"The tumor is gone. But, you know, I have to check out on a monthly basis now to maintain," he said. "I guess there's not a total euphoria. I'll probably take a couple of months of getting checked out. But it's been a wild six-month ride."
The 66-year-old actor went on to say he lost about 32 pounds while he was ill, but has since gained about 12 back.
"I'm eating like a pig," he laughed. "But, I mean, I got another 20, 25 to go."
Douglas said he is now looking forward to future projects.
"I think the odds are with the tumor gone and what I know about this particular type of cancer that I've got it beat," he said.