La Toya London and Amy Adams advance to 'American Idol' Top 12
By Reality TV World staff, 02/26/2004
Last night in a dramatic results show, it was announced that La Toya London from Oakland, CA and Amy Adams from Bakersfield, CA were chosen by America to become the next two contestants to make the Top 12 on American Idol.
Approximately 13 million votes were received after Tuesday's performance show in which London captivated the audience with her performance of "All By Myself." Amy Adams had the audience grooving with her rendition of "Power of Love." Over 26 million viewers tuned in to Tuesday's performance show, which dominated the time period and was the highest-rated program of the night.
London and Adams were the two top vote-getters in their group and have advanced to the finals, joining Fantasia Barrino, Diana DeGarmo, Camile Velasco and Matt Rogers in the Top 12. The fourth set of eight semifinalists will perform on Tuesday, March 2 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. They will return to the stage the next night to find out their fate, as the results are revealed during the weekly live broadcast on Wednesday, March 3 (8:30-9:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed).
At the end of the March 2 episode, the phone lines will open and America can vote for their favorite contestant(s) via toll-free telephone lines until 11:00 PM ET/PT (10:00 PM CT/MT), subject to time zone restrictions. American Idol viewers who subscribe to AT&T Wireless may also use text messaging to vote by sending the word "vote" to the four-digit short numbers (5701, 5702 etc.) for the Idols of their choice. Each week, viewers will call or text one of the designated numbers -- each one corresponding to one of the performers -- to cast their vote.
The last group of eight semifinalists who will perform next week include:
• Susan Vulaca, age 21. A former native of the Fiji Islands, Susan moved to the United States six and half years ago and now lives in Phoenix, AZ. She currently works as a receptionist at Smith Barney and donates her spare time to kids. Her favorite type of music is jazz, but she also has a great love for the Carpenters, ABBA, the Bee Gees and Chicago.
• Heather Piccinini, age 20. When Heather isn't working for her parents' pool service and renovation business or singing, she plays the drums, saxophone, electric guitar and the piano. Heather loves horseback riding and working with children. She says to be an American Idol "…you have to feel it, want it, and be willing to be you. You cannot be anyone else but you, and you have to hope that you are good enough." She has lived in Spring Hill, FL all of her life.
• John Preator, age 23. John is majoring in music dance theatre at Brigham Young University and works on the BYU campus as an administrative assistant in the School of Music. He was born in Provo, UT and still resides in his hometown, although he did spend two years in Brazil while on an LDS church mission. John is 23 years old (8/8/80) and speaks fluent Portuguese, reads Michael Crichton novels, and says thus far his IDOL experience has been: "Amazing. Unparalleled. Indescribable."
• Tiara Purifoy, age 22. Tiara recently graduated from the University of Wisconsin, where she earned her degree in human resources. Tiara, also known as "T", was born and raised in the small town of Beloit just outside of Milwaukee, WI. She loves French fries, Whitney Houston, and her favorite song to sing is "Tomorrow" from the musical "Annie."
• John Stevens, age 16. A junior at Willliamsville East High School, John recently returned from a choir tour in Europe. Aside from his enthusiasm for singing, he also does impersonations of celebrities; many people say he reminds them of Conan O'Brien. John admires Frank Sinatra's music and most identifies his vocal style with Sinatra himself. John was born and raised in East Amherst, NY.
• Jasmine Trias, age 17. Jasmine describes herself as "a typical Hawaiian teen" who enjoys surfing, dressing comfortably and playing the ukulele, strives to put Hawaii on the map. Jasmine was born and raised in beautiful Mililani, HI. She currently attends Maryknoll High School, performs for her church and school, and volunteers her time at the Kapiolani Hospital in the ER. She advises the other IDOL hopefuls to sing their hearts out and to not hold back.
• Lisa Wilson, age 23. Lisa is a singer who also plays the flute, guitar and piano. She also enjoys painting and dancing. Her American Idols are her parents. Born, raised and still living in Rome, GA, she categorizes her vocal style as rock. She would most like to work with Pink in the business and when asked the question, "What makes you stand out from all the other contestants?" Lisa replied, "I think I have a totally different flavor from everyone else in the competition. I'm kind of spicy."
• George Huff, age 23. George, from New Orleans, LA, is currently a music education major at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, OK. Self-described as a jazz, blues and gospel artist, Huff comes from a family of singers and at the age of 5 realized he loved to perform. Since then he has performed in almost every church in the state of Louisiana. George has also performed in New Mexico and Europe and was involved in many school choirs.