John Stevens becomes the seventh 'American Idol' finalist to be eliminated
By Reality TV World staff, 04/29/2004
American Idol grooved to a Latin beat on Tuesday night, as the remaining six finalists performed songs previously recorded by Gloria Estefan, backed live by her band, the Miami Sound Machine. Estefan joined the judges Tuesday in critiquing the performances. Then, during last night's live results show, it was announced that John Stevens, who sang "Music of My Heart" on Tuesday, was eliminated from the American Idol competition.
Over 28 million votes were recorded after Tuesday's performance show -- the highest number of votes ever received in American Idol history. The seventh finalist to be eliminated from the competition, Stevens will return to his hometown of East Amherst, NY. Only five finalists remain, one of whom will be the next American Idol.
Next week the contestants will get into the swing of things, performing songs from the Big Band Era on Tuesday, May 4 (8-9PM ET/PT). Tune in Wednesday, May 5 (8:30-9:00 PM ET/PT), when one more finalist will be sent home, ending his or her quest for the American Idol title.
• Fantasia Barrino, age 19. Fantasia is from from Highpoint, NC and started singing in church with her family at the age of 5. According to her mother, Fantasia's 2-year-old daughter, Zion Barrino, is going to be an American Idol. Self-described as a crazy woman, Fantasia likes to go skating and dancing. Currently, Fantasia is attending PCBI – Madison High School, pursing her diploma. First performance: "Something to Talk About"
• Diana Degarmo, age 16. Diana is from Snellville, GA and has been singing since the age of 5. In her free time, she enjoys going to football, soccer and basketball games. Diana's favorite singers range from Celine Dion and Patsy Cline to Nickelback and the Ying Yang Twins. First performance: "I've Got the Music in Me."
• George Huff, age 23. George, from New Orleans, LA, is currently a music education major at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, OK. Self-described as a jazz, blues and gospel artist, Huff comes from a family of singers and at the age of 5 realized he loved to perform. Since then he has performed in almost every church in the state of Louisiana. George has also performed in New Mexico and Europe and was involved in many school choirs. First performance: "Always and Forever." Second performance: "Lean On Me."
• La Toya London, age 24. Married with stepchildren, La Toya currently lives in Hawthorne, CA and attends the Musicians Institute in Los Angeles. La Toya has been singing for the past 22 years. She classifies her vocal style as soul and most identifies with India.Arie. If she couldn't sing, she would like to be a musician on the piano, guitar, bass and drums. First performance: "All By Myself."
• Jasmine Trias, age 17. Jasmine describes herself as "a typical Hawaiian teen" who enjoys surfing, dressing comfortably and playing the ukulele, strives to put Hawaii on the map. Jasmine was born and raised in beautiful Mililani, HI. She currently attends Maryknoll High School, performs for her church and school, and volunteers her time at the Kapiolani Hospital in the ER. She advises the other IDOL hopefuls to sing their hearts out and to not hold back. First performance: "Run to You."
American Idol Tuesday ranks as the No. 1 program on any network this season among Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34, and Total Viewers.