Amy Adams becomes the third 'American Idol' finalist to be eliminated
By Reality TV World staff, 04/01/2004
American Idol had the audience grooving on this week, as the Top 10 finalists performed Motown songs, accompanied by the legendary Funk Brothers as the house band. Producing and songwriting team Ashford & Simpson (Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson) were guest judges. During last night's live results show, it was announced that Amy Adams was eliminated from the American Idol competition after receiving the fewest votes.
Over 20 million total votes were recorded after Tuesday's performance show, in which Adams sang "Dancing in the Street." The third finalist to be eliminated from the competition, Adams will return to her hometown of Bakersfield, CA.
Next week, the remaining nine finalists will perform on Tuesday, April 6 (8-9 PM ET/PT). On Wednesday, April 7 (8:30-9:00 PM ET/PT), another finalist will be sent home, ending his or her quest for the American Idol title.
• Fantasia Barrino, age 19. Fantasia is from from Highpoint, NC and started singing in church with her family at the age of 5. According to her mother, Fantasia's 2-year-old daughter, Zion Barrino, is going to be an American Idol. Self-described as a crazy woman, Fantasia likes to go skating and dancing. Currently, Fantasia is attending PCBI – Madison High School, pursing her diploma. First performance: "Something to Talk About"
• Diana Degarmo, age 16. Diana is from Snellville, GA and has been singing since the age of 5. In her free time, she enjoys going to football, soccer and basketball games. Diana's favorite singers range from Celine Dion and Patsy Cline to Nickelback and the Ying Yang Twins. First performance: "I've Got the Music in Me."
• Camile Velasco, age 18. Camile, who also goes by the nickname Koy, was born in Makati City, Philippines and currently lives in Haiku, Maui. Camile is a waitress at the International House of Pancakes. She has sung all her life, but she only began performing at age 16. First performance: "One Last Cry."
• La Toya London, age 24. Married with stepchildren, La Toya currently lives in Hawthorne, CA and attends the Musicians Institute in Los Angeles. La Toya has been singing for the past 22 years. She classifies her vocal style as soul and most identifies with India.Arie. If she couldn't sing, she would like to be a musician on the piano, guitar, bass and drums. First performance: "All By Myself."
• John Stevens, age 16. A junior at Willliamsville East High School, John recently returned from a choir tour in Europe. Aside from his enthusiasm for singing, he also does impersonations of celebrities; many people say he reminds them of Conan O'Brien. John admires Frank Sinatra's music and most identifies his vocal style with Sinatra himself. John was born and raised in East Amherst, NY. First performance: "She's Always a Woman."
• Jasmine Trias, age 17. Jasmine describes herself as "a typical Hawaiian teen" who enjoys surfing, dressing comfortably and playing the ukulele, strives to put Hawaii on the map. Jasmine was born and raised in beautiful Mililani, HI. She currently attends Maryknoll High School, performs for her church and school, and volunteers her time at the Kapiolani Hospital in the ER. She advises the other IDOL hopefuls to sing their hearts out and to not hold back. First performance: "Run to You."
• Jon Peter Lewis, age 24. Jon Peter was born in Lincoln, NE and now resides in Rexburg, ID, where he attends BYU-Idaho and studies pre-med. He speaks Spanish, some French, Catalan, and bits and pieces of a few Nigerian dialects. His favorite singer of all time is Sting. Jon Peter's advice to other singing hopefuls is to "Love the music in yourself, not yourself in the music." First performance: "Tiny Dancer" Second performance: "A Little Less Conversation."
• Jennifer Hudson, age 22. Born and raised in Chicago, Jennifer has been singing since the age of 7. Although she has never had formal singing training, Jennifer has been working on a cruise line as a singer and actress. Jennifer's favorite artists include Beyonce, Celine Dion, and Ruben Studdard. Jennifer believes that an American Idol is someone "who is an extremely talented, well-grounded individual with…every bit of star quality." First performance: "Imagine." Second performance: "I Believe in You and Me."
• George Huff, age 23. George, from New Orleans, LA, is currently a music education major at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, OK. Self-described as a jazz, blues and gospel artist, Huff comes from a family of singers and at the age of 5 realized he loved to perform. Since then he has performed in almost every church in the state of Louisiana. George has also performed in New Mexico and Europe and was involved in many school choirs. First performance: "Always and Forever." Second performance: "Lean On Me."
American Idol Tuesday ranks as the No. 1 program on any network this season among Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34, and Total Viewers.