The 1991 painting by John Currin shows the "Maude" and "Golden Girls" star naked from the waist up. The artwork was sold at a Christie's auction in Manhattan Wednesday night.
Arthur died of cancer in 2009. She was 86.
Letterman read the Top 10 "Questions to Ask Yourself Before Spending $2 Million on a Painting of a Naked Bea Arthur" on Wednesday's edition of "Late Show" in New York.
It went as follows:
10. "Should I discuss this with my therapist?"
9. "Can it possibly live up to how I've imagined her naked?"
8. "What's the catch?"
7. "Is the auction clothing-optional?"
6. "Is this what people mean when they say, 'Dude, you're into some weird stuff?'"
5. "How many more images of a naked Bea Arthur do I need?"
4. "Why has no one snatched this up already?"
3. "Will it go with my bronze statue of Shelly Winters?"
2. "Can I have it delivered in time for Father's Day?"
1. "How much for just the frame?"
DISCUSS AND COMMENT ON THIS STORY Reality TV World now offers Facebook Comments on our stories. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then 'Add' your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the 'X' in the upper right corner of the comment box.